Grad school is wicked time consuming! This blog is currently on hold as the semester grinds on!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

1 Chronicles 1-9

 As mentioned in last week's post, "Broken Covenants," I had a difficult time composing this infographic. My instinct was to use FreeMind, a wonderful "mind mapping" tool that I use to sort data and to brainstorm. However, after completing one version of this graphic with FreeMind, I realized that it did not have the functions I required. Then I tried Vue, an open-source application from Tufts. This software seemed more robust and offered more options that would help me with my genealogical task. The result is the following:

Also check out the high-resolution version!

In creating this genealogy, I favored aesthetics over chronology. Arrows point from parent to offspring, with Adam beginning in the upper left-hand corner. The spoke toward the middle is Israel, whose 12 sons comprise, well, Israel. The genealogy extends from Adam to the generation of the Exile.

I hope the wait was worth it.

13 comments:

  1. i can't see the names clearly but it looks awesome. imagine if we had the information to track our family tree back hundreds of years... i find this all facinating

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Carlos,

    Try the "high-resolution" link now. I made a change so hopefully it works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that makes it 1000x better. they should use it in textbooks and other sources. I wont be surprised if I do see it around one day, thats how good it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great graph! Beautiful and comprehensive. Would you mind posting an editable version?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. Great visual tool to understand the relationship of the names of this passage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you!!!!!!
    -Vera

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! I hope i can find this again when i eventually add a genealogy mapping module in my bible analytics site (after the prophecy tracker, and geomapping feature...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! Some are compelled to explore such things. Thank you for doing it well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Big help! Thanks! Any reason why you left out Ezrah’s grandkids in 4:17-19?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm reading the Bible through in a year and have come into Chronicles which always sends me into a swirl. I have been looking for a good infographic to cover this material and found yours. Well done. I noted a couple of edits that may be possible if you ever want them but I want to thank you for your hard work and excellent usage of the program. You paved the way! What a tremendous resource for someone who is studying the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing Job!! EPIC Infographic.. would love to see it through to Jesus I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was reading through 1 Chronicles again and thought it would be a good idea to sketch all of this out and see what it might show. But I figured I would look online first to see what was out there. Your infographic is even better than I was hoping for.

    ReplyDelete